Friday, November 23, 2007

Beirut

Hell or Heaven?


aSmallWorld.net talk...
I have been planning a trip to Beirut since summer...
Unfortunately things seem to be getting worse. Should I avoid a trip there for now or is it OK?
Being half Spanish I'm quite used to ETA but would be great if I can get back to London with my two legs and arms...!
Any advise on what to do or the areas I should really not go?!
Author: Pedro Caldeira

I just cancelled plans to attend a friend's wedding this weekend. Painful decision. The view from Cyprus is that things are becoming progressively worse.
Author: Demos

Wrong timing my friend ..wait till things cool down
Author: Omar

Hey Pedro
I dont really advise u to come to Beirut. Its not really safe. After 9pm, the roads are empty. I think coming now is not a good idea. If u could wait till July and see how the situation gets, it would be better.
Author: Lama

Not my lucky month then...! :(
Will make it to Jordan then! Thanks for the advise, will keep it in mind!
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Don't know what u guys are talking about.. i was there last week and the place was ROCKING!
even went north to the beach and we were partying like crazy 20km from the bombardments..
Author: Oliviero

Guess you are a lucky guy then!
Author: Pedro Caldeira

@Oliviero: you go dude!
Come on guys... Beirut is most charming right when its being torn apart... beirut is not used to things quiet and peaceful...
I fly to beirut at the break of every war to console my lovely city. when im not embedded with the UN on cluster bomb excursions in the south, you'll find me hugging gemmayzeh's walls...
You go give beirut a hug Pedro. She'll appreciate it. and you'll never forget it.
Author: Jehad

Apparently Bairut is my kind of city (so my friends say)!!
Im quite sure I will fall in love with it. But maybe book it when things are calmer is a good idea. Dont want to have a bad experience in the first time...
Author: Pedro Caldeira

I arrived in Beirut the day things flared up and during the double bombings. It was all a bit too close to comfort - I missed the first by 10 minutes, and the second was by the hotel.
Though an amazing city, with unbelievably fantastic people, I think it's not the best idea to venture there currently, particularly since troubles have just begun in the south of the country too.
Author: Seena

The thing is Pedro, it is safe and not safe at the same time... I can give you an example which is amazingly true and funny: before 10:30 - 11, as Lama mentioned, the roads are empty, but the funny part is, everybody is waiting for the explosion to go off... once it went off, and everybody heard about it and knew where it was... Beirut starts partying, and most of the people go out after the explosion.. sort of a consolation, knowing that the second one won't be for the same night...
Anyways, if you decide to come, and need anything, honestly feel free to contact me: +961-3-233749 would be glad to help you in any way...
Author: Michel

@ Michel- I heard that also. And some friends gave the adress of some rooftop bars that look amazing.
Never thought being stuck in such a simple decision. Will book things anyway and see how it goes.
Thanks for your contact by the way! Will keep it and call you when I get there.
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Will be waiting... take good care... and as for the rooftop bars, they are amazing :)
Author: Michel

Gave up! :(
Will meet you next year I guess...
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Life goes on in Beirut as always.
The people are resilient and doing their thing.
Author: Kareem

Dear Pedro.
If You Can Wait A Little Bit To Come To Beirut It will Be Better.I Am Lebanese Christian Leaving There.Situation Is Not Very Gooc For The Time Beeing.Hope To see You There One Day.
Best Regards.
C.V.T.
Beirut-Lebanon...
Author: Cyril

You have to be a Lebanese to come to Beirut! or simply an aventurer
Lebanon life is going on despite all.
Check the situation towards Mid Sept.
Early October is a superb month to come over here!
Author: Cherine

Will do that! Changed my trip from Beirut to Jordan but will def go another time. Got some names of nice hotels but the more the better. Want to have the best time ever when I get there...
Author: Pedro Caldeira

You will.
Beirut is the most beautiful city in the world , but right now it is going through a rough time...but we will be up and runnig in no time ... so just be patient and when you visit you will hopefully see the REAL beirut
Author: Dana

@ Dana. Hope its this year! :)
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Hello Pedro,
When you are there its not as worth you may think...people unfortunatly are getting used to it...
If you really wanna go, don't hesitate, i am sure you will still enjoy it,,,
marwa
Author: Marwa

Its a tough one...I am desperate to go too but keep putting it off...thing is I guess one has to live one's life...no-one on their holidays a couple of years ago expected the Tsunami to hit Thailand, Indonesia, the Maldives, etc.
Author: Reema

I am french, I live there, ok, situation is not so great..but that;s safe.I am on my way back there tomorrow. Have a nice week end, suzel
Author: Suzel jakouloff

@ Remma- To be honest, dont think that is a very good exemple...
Author: Pedro Caldeira
To the rest...Sounds to me that Beirut rocks!!
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Go for it.
And let's all never leave Beirut alone!
Author: Emanuele Maria Bertodo

Ive been DYING to go to beirut for years now, the promoters i was set to dj for have been forced to cancel three gigs there over the last two years, i was set to go play this weekend and again we had to cancel due to safety concerns.
I hear nothing but amazing things about the city and its people
Can't wait to go
Author: Max

Pedro and all...
if u dont have a Leb passport / some Leb origins, pls avoid as much as possible right now....
We donno where the next bomb will be, and to be honest the last thing we want is that the holder of a European/non-Leb passport gets injured there....this would kill the bit of faith that is remaining in Leb :(
sorry to be negative...
Author: Rita

Pedro if you can go, go! I want to go but I can't :(
There are a lot of great people on this site from Beirut (go into any of the discussions on Lebanon in the threads) and I am sure if you contact them they will tell you where the best places are. I am sure you will have a great time.
Don't let the newspapers spook you...
Author: Ariel

Its a deal...will go to Beirut. But Ill wait till things calm down a bit.
@ Rita- Think you are right...why not wait a bit and have a great time in Bairut then going now and have some kind of bad feeling!
Many ASW in Birut!?
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Pedro Beirut is amazing, I went there 2x in 2005 and had the time of my life, was going there last summer when the war broke and had to cancel. I dont feel that it's safe right now to go, you will not get the feel that I got when I was there and things were relativelly quiet... It'd such a atmosphere... the people are great, the beaches lots of fun and the night life one of the best I have been to, somehow I dont think I would have the same feeling if I went there right now. However, I hope I can go back soon and have another ball there, but for the moment I will wait and wish the best for lebanon and beirut...
Author: Marli


That makes two of us. Will keep my fingers crossed for them!!
Author: Pedro Caldeira

So- Off to Beirut the 26 of Sep. for four days. Whats going on there?
Anymore recomendations?
Safe or not really? Going anyway! :)
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Pedro keep your eyes to the news and Good luck and Bon Voyage
Author: Janan

Sounding scary...!
Author: Pedro Caldeira

Go and have fun. i was there 2 weeks ago...
Anyway if you like, i am planning a trip to Lebanon with my friends in Feb/March to go skying if you are interested inform me.
Author: Allen

LIVE BEIRUT...

No comments: