Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Help - The real world

The EDL Foundation is a non profit, non governmental organization dedicated to helping provide basic necessities and infrastructure for children living in orphanages in developing countries. The foundation’s mission is to acquire funds to directly provide comprehensive support and educational possibilities to vulnerable and under-privileged orphans.

The first project of the EDL Foundation is supporting the Miftahurrohmah Orphanage in Java, Indonesia, an area severely damaged by a strong earthquake on May 27, 2006.

How it started
The founder of the EDL Foundation arrived in Java the day of the earthquake. She was shocked beyond words to see the devastation of this beautiful island and the despair of the victims who were left with nothing but their suffering. Her decision to create this foundation came after seeing the conditions in which the children at the Miftahurrohmah orphanage live in. Their need for a safer structure, a proper plumbing system, and basic necessities such as food and a mattress to sleep on, made her realize that she had to do something to make life more liveable for these orphans.

After returning several times to Java to follow up on the structural repairs being done and personally bring items and funds to continue the ongoing project, the founder wanted for the rest of the world to know the devastation and desperate need for help that is necessary for these orphans and victims of a natural disaster.

Some of the children at the Miftahurrohmah orphanage write about themselves: * My name is Sumarlan. I was born in 1989. My hobbies are reading and sports. My dream is to be a ship's captain. I live at the orphanage with my friends which are all 38 kids. The important thing for me now is to study hard so that I can reach my dream. * My name is Samsulhadi. I was born in 1989. I want to be in the army, but I don't have money to continue my study. I really hope that someday I will be able to continue my study to higher education. * My name is Sofi Sholeh. I was born in 1988. I have a dream to become a successful entrepeneur. I want to continue my study, as this orphanage helps children like us. * My name is Kholis. I am 12 years old. My hobbies are singing, studying, and doing sports. I hope I can get a job after I graduate from school. * My name is Neli Faradila. I was born in 1991. I wish I could study as high as I can, but it's impossible because of our economic condition, don't even to pay my study to make our life proper. I like reading. God...I hope in my future I meet with someone or an angel who can help me, to make my dreams come true. * I am Dwi Anita. I was born in 1990. I really want to get a better life.My hobbies are cooking and reading. Become a teacher is my dream.















Banque SCS Alliance SA,
6B route de Chancy
CP 64 - 1211 Geneva 8
SWITZERLAND
SWIFT: BSSACHGG
FFC: EDL Foundation account 0013217
IBAN:
CH80 0876 2000 1321 7000 2

www.edlfoundation.org/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,it's Elena. I just wanted to thank you for posting the website of the orphanage on your blog. It is very nice of you! I hope to meet you soon, very soon.
*PS: I love your blog!*

Pedro Caldeira said...

Thank you!

I really admire your project and would love to get involved with it sometime!
I visited with Pipo Lencastre the orphanage and was really touched by it all. Good work!!

P.s. Any news on your projects, please tell me so I can post them here. Every bit helps, right?!

:)